Feel Makarska

Sacral heritage

Franciscan monastery: originally located outside the city walls, and from the 16th century, it was rebuilt and extended. The complex consists of two churches of St. Maria – old and new, a complex of buildings, a cloister and a belfry.

St. Peter’s church: on the peninsula of St. Peter, there are the remains of a late antique fortress from the 6th century, but also numerous traces of the presence of Venetians. St. Peter was rebuilt in 1992 after being damaged during an earthquake in 1962. The first church was built in the 6th century, then it was rebuilt in the 15th century in the Gothic style, and it took the Baroque form in the 18th century.

Church of the Queen of Peace : after the earthquake in 1962, people began to come to Makarska from the near villages or the mountain, so the town started to expand towards the west. Therefore, in 1969 a new parish church was founded. There was no religious building in this district before, so the archdiocese purchased a one-story residential building. The first parish priest, Father Josip Čorić, entered his presbytery on 14th November,1970. It is worth mentioning that the parish priest, Stipe Ljubas, has put a lot of effort into the process of building the new Church of the Queen of Peace.

St. Mark’s church: The church was built in the first half of the 18th during the reign of the Venetian Republic. The baroque church with a belfry served as a cathedral in the past (until 1828). Its interior is impressive. The marble altar of St. Mark and St. Jerome was originally on the site of the main altar, and today it is a side altar. To the right of the entrance, there is an altar of St. Clement, whose relics were brought from the Roman catacombs in the 18th century. St. Clement (celebrated on November 21) is the patron saint of the city and the entire diocese.

St. Martin’s church: is located in the village of Kotišina. The original building was built at the turn of the 12th and 13th centuries. It was a small Romanesque-style church. It was damaged during the earthquake in 1962. Forgotten for many years. Only a few years ago it started to be restored, and today it shines with full splendour.

St. Anthony’s church: the picturesque church in Kotišina already existed in the 17th century, as evidenced by the inscription embedded in the apse of the church mentioning Bishop Marijan Lišnji (1664-1686). During the renovation of the church building from the beginning of the 20th century (1901-1903), a square resembling a stage was created, which also became one of the many impressive view points in the town. It’s called Proslap, as is the waterfall that flows through a nearby canyon where the water only rustles during heavy rainfall.

St. Andrew’s church: a small church from the 17th century, mysteriously situated among pines and cypresses in the village of Kotišina. St. Andrew, the apostle, is the protector of fishermen, he helps sailors during storms, and he takes special care of domestic animals, protecting them from diseases.

Veliko Brdo is a parish with a long tradition, it became an independent parish in the 18th century. There are two churches here – the parish church of St. Jerome from the 18th century and the church of St. Michael from the 17th century, located alone among the long-lived cypress trees.

Church of St. Philip Neri: the church is situated on the promenade. The church is separated from the belfry by a second building. Why? In the 18th century, there was a complex prepared as the oratory of St. Philip Neri.